Archive

Posts Tagged ‘Next Step of West Michigan’

Community Spotlight: Next Step of West Michigan – walking alongside the most vulnerable

March 27, 2019 1 comment

Yesterday I visited with Jonathan Peerboom – Program and Development Director of Next Step of West Michigan (Next Step) – a faith-based nonprofit employing people coming out of prison or rehab and providing them with a community of support that will help them integrate into the workforce, regain hope and empower themselves to create a better future.

Jonathan Peerboom, Program and Development Director, Next Step of West Michigan

John’s Story.

What really impacted me about my visit was meeting “John” and hearing his story.

John is an employee of Next Step. John was putting together crates and stopped to talk with me and greeted me with a huge smile and an enthusiastic handshake.

Like many of us, John has experienced many struggles and hardships over his life, starting with a traumatic childhood which caused ripple effects throughout his adult life. John ended up spending 10 years in prison.

As many of us know, the barrier to employment and re-entry into society after a felony conviction and extended prison sentence is often times insurmountable.

When society is telling the Johns of this world that they have nothing to offer this world, that they are only valued if they have the right looks, status, job, house, money, family, etc… Next Step is telling those, like John, like me once as a kid, the opposite.

John has inherent value.

He is worthy to be loved because he is a person, made in the image of God.

Next Step gave John a job – the integrity of working for a living – and through words and acts tells John that is loved and inherently valued. Now, John, 7 years removed from prison, is a changed man.

A Sustainable Non-profit.

Next Step states on its website that
it is “a nonprofit that aims to make a real impact in the lives of its employees, while maintaining a financial model anchored in sustainability.”

Approximately 85% of its revenue is through a delivery of services or goods. The remaining 15% are investment gifts that fund administration costs, provide for new initiatives and increase capacity.

Next Step operates like a social enterprise – it has a self-sustaining business model that employees

Relationships Change lives.

Yesterday after meeting with Jonathan at Next Step, we traveled not too far down Division for luncheon held at Mel Trotter Ministries, another community partner along with Next Step serving the most vulnerable in our community.

I love this quote that is often spoken of at Mel Trotter Ministries – “People don’t become homeless when they run out of money. They become homeless when they run out of relationships.”

That is our job.

Being those relationships for the most vulnerable.

Not just “one-way relationships” but truly reaching out in community in a sustainable way.

Keep up the good work Jonathan and Team at Next Step! Next Step would love to partner with you if you want to learn more about the work they are doing in our community. I encourage you to check out their website or email Jonathan

Questions? Comments?

email: Jeshua@dwlawpc.com

http://www.dwlawpc.com

Twitter: @JeshuaTLauka

Advertisements